The Morgan Library & Museum
Formerly known as the Pierpont Morgan Library and commonly referred to as the Morgan, the research library, museum, and exhibition venue houses on...
In 1890, Santa Monica town trustees accepted a donation of 800 books, forming the foundation for what would grow into the Santa Monica Public Library. The library started in two rooms in the Bank of Santa Monica building located at Third Street and Oregon Avenue, now known as Santa Monica Boulevard. From these modest beginnings, the library has grown to five locations with roughly 400,000 volumes in its catalogue.
The Friends of Santa Monica Library supports the mission and vision of the library and fundraises for the institution. Volunteers advocate for and educate the community about the library's operations, community access, staffing, materials, programming, and technology. Through its longtime funding for summer reading, career, and college preparation programs for school-aged residents — as well as services and support for senior community members — the Friends of Santa Monica Library ensures that the library will remain on the same page as the community that it serves.
General Operating Support